Can A Child Custody Arrangement Be Modified?

A final divorce decree has been granted and everyone breathes a sigh of relief. But for many divorcing couples (particularly ones with children), a post-decree modification will likely be needed in the near or distant future. This is because kids grow up and change, and so do their needs.

A Change In Circumstance

With many modifications, a request to modify an existing visitation court order is not automatic unless both parties agree. Under the law, a custody modification would require a "change in circumstance."

Possible Examples

Further, to modify custody, it must also be in the best interests of the children for a court to grant the request. Certain instances likely to satisfy the requirement may include an out-of-state relocation by one parent, child endangerment or exposure to violence, or declining health of the custodial parent.

Why Choose Hartley Law Office, LLC

If you need help modifying a parenting time order, our staff at Hartley Law Office, LLC, has the experience to assist.

Our leading attorney, Aaron Hartley, has handled many family law custody modifications for Dayton, Ohio. He knows the law. He is also efficient and will never prolong a case simply to increase his fees. As a divorced parent, he understands the need for efficiency in such instances so all parties can move on.

Call 937-684-9271 To Schedule A Consult

Contact us to schedule a meeting to talk about your situation with a lawyer. Feel free to also fill out our online form.